Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Backsliding

During the previous month, we were elated with the facts provided by the MMDA and the LRTA regarding two statistics: one, the decrease in the number of private vehicles traveling along the main thoroughfares of Metro manila during peak hours and two, the increase in the number of commuters using the LRT and MRT.

Premium gasoline breached the P60.00 level and diesel fuel hovered near P58.00. With that, most people decided to limit usage of their private vehicles and instead opted to try the trains in commuting in Metro Manila. This augured well for the improvement of Metro Manila's Air Quality, what with lesser vehicles emitting toxic gases into the atmosphere.

The last two weeks saw the big decrease in the pump prices of all gasoline products. Today, crude oil prices went below US$90.00 per barrel. Us, people of the Philippines are back to our old ways. We are back to using our cars more often and abhorring using public transport again. Of course I understand how hard it was to use the light trains during the gas price crises months of August and September; I saw for myself how packed the trains were at all times of the day. What I do not understand is how we are back to using the private vehicles again for unnecessary trips.

During the times when gas prices were soaring, we seldom used the car in running errands and short trips. Nowadays, we are once again utilizing the car in going to the grocery store which is but two blocks away, in going to the village basketball court which is but a short 5 minute walk from our house and doing myriad things using our cars that we dare not did when pump prices were sky high.

MEA CULPA. Last night, I realized that I was doing these things myself and this prompted my blog writing. I just had to write and decide to take positive action.

Starting again today, I resolve to walk more often, ride the LRT more frequently and minimize car usage. If this would not amount to something much, at least I have my contributed my little share in caring for the air we breathe.

No comments: